Friday, January 1, 2010

Ringing Out 2009.

New Year’s Eve has always been a pretty quiet affair around our house. Even on the years that we have gone out with friends, we have always been home shortly after midnight. Neither of us is particularly fond of the raucous revelry that surrounds this evening – oh, we have nothing against raucous revelry in general, believe me… but on the cusp of a new year, it just so often seems forced and fake. So, most years, we usually avoid the whole drinking/driving dilemma (ours and other people’s…) and spend the evening at home.

This year, there was a lot of extra incentive to stick to that plan. In the first place, Doug is deep into his tri-training with Dallas Athletes and has a 3 hour bike ride this morning – one in which he was warned that the pace would be “sassy”. In the second place, we have just returned from spending time surrounded by family and are still settling into our normal routine. In the third place, the restaurant where we planned to have dinner only had 5:30 and 9:45 reservations available (too early and too late). In the fourth place, it was cold and rainy outside.  And in the fifth place:

Yeah, I'm fighting a head cold. Not only does it make me look like hell, but this whole sinus-congestion thingie is really getting on my nerves.... I am NOT good at being sick...

As it turns out, staying home was the best decision we could have made.  We cranked up the fireplace, cracked a beer or two – and a bottle of wine – watched a movie and even managed to make it past midnight!

Doug took over the cooking chores tonight. Yay! (I hope this is a portent of the year to come)

Pasta Man! He made penne with Italian sausage and a roasted garlic/herb & tomato sauce, accompanied by Tuscan bread with olive oil, herbs & balsamic vinegar. My only contribution was the salad - and it was a kit, complete with the dressing...

The wine that accompanied the pasta - thank you, Chas & Cathy!

My perspective for a good portion of the evening... Doug in the kitchen, me on the sofa...

...surrounded by dogs. They're confused - I don't sit much, and they can't figure out why I'm on the sofa.

And one dog decides this would be a good time to grab a little more attention ...

Quinn has a "Please, Mom, pet me..." expression...

...so a little "foot massage" seems to be in order. (Good thing I had a pedicure today...)

Heaven!

But, even sick, I can't sit for long... (like my snowflake jammies?...)

and soon, the dogs got into the swing of the evening, too...

This laid-back evening culminated in a toast to the new year, amid a flurry of exchanging New Year’s greetings with friends (gotta love texting). And now here we are – 2010! Happy, Happy New Year, Everyone! May this be our best year yet!

[Via http://paythepiper.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment