Monday, January 25, 2010

Episode 9 - A Bowl of Onion

Episode 9 is one episode my husband was dreading. He doesn’t like onions and 5 lbs of onions in a pot to make French Onion Soup was his personal nightmare. He, being the sweet husband he is, agreed to at least try the soup. I know there are going to be some recipes one or both of us are not thrilled with for one reason or another. The coffee episode is going to be interesting – I can’t have caffeine and SH hates the smell of coffee, but that’s another post!

SH's worst nightmare

Cutting the onions took forever and I cried and cried. The whole house smelled of onions. It took longer than I thought to cook the onions, but low and slow is the way you have to go with this recipe. The technique was easy, but you have to be patient. I wanted to just turn the heat up and get it over with several times. I found very low sodium organic beef and chicken broth, so despite Alton’s urging to make my own broth from a future episode, I went with store bought.

Products: Organic red onions, organic butter, organic beef and chicken broth. I couldn’t find organic sweet onions.

Overall: The soup was very rich, but tasty. The melted cheese makes it very tasty.

SH: “Not bad considering the inherent evilness of the recipe”

[Via http://melsenplace.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment