Friday, February 5, 2010

Applesauce

It’s winter, which means our CSA box has apples. And more apples. Did I mention apples?

In an effort to use up the apples, I decided to make applesauce. Nothing special, I took 3 – 4 pounds of the apples we had (fiji’s, red delicious, and others) chopped them and cooked them down. I did add a cinnamon stick, a little nutmeg and 2 – 3 tablespoons of sugar.

Apples

I cooked until they were mushy and then processed for canning.

Even better, last night I used the applesauce as the filling for some apple turnovers. We usually have squares of puff pastry in the freezer so I defrosted 2 of those. Add a little bit of apple filling, make a triangle, crimp, milk wash, bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so. Serve warm with a little vanilla ice cream.

It worked well. The pastry was savory rather than sweet, so next time I might sprinkle some coarse sugar on the outside before baking. But it was very tasty.

Have at least as many apples again, so will probably make more applesauce this weekend. Particularly given we’re getting another big rainstorm and the weather is going to be miserable.

[Via http://lauraatkins.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment