Monday, October 26, 2009

Cake Balls!!!

So, if you haven’t tried cake balls yet… YOU ARE SOOOO MISSING OUT!!!!  These things are little bites of awesome.  I highly recommend!

This weekend I make Orange Vanilla Cakeballs with Dark Chocolate Coating.  I didn’t really have a recipe for this particular type of cake balls, but that’s the great thing about this dessert… you can do whatever combination or cake, frosting and coating you like. 

Here is the jest of it…

  1. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions.  For this recipe, I used vanilla cake and added 1 tbsp of orange extract and some orange food coloring.  When the cake is done baking, crumble it up while it’s warm into a large bowl, and stir in a container or cake frosting until your concoction is crumbly and moist (I added 1 tsp orange extract and some food coloring to the frosting as well).  
  2. Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the cake mixture – then realize that you don’t need the melon baller, say “screw this” and just use your hands (or at least thats what I do).  Once you’ve rolled all your balls, place them in the freezer for at least an hour.
  3. Melt chocolate coating in a double boiler over the stove (I used dark chocolate candy chips that I got from Michael’s – I would suggest getting 2 packages for every box of cake).  Dip the balls into the chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.   Once they are set, enjoy and try not to eat them all in one sitting!

Here  is a picture of what mine looked like…

Orange Cake Balls with Dark Chocolate Coating

They were a huge hit.  I made them Saturday night and with a little help from my husband, daughter, sister and brother-in-law… Let’s just say it’s time to make some more cakeballs!  And go to the gym…

No comments:

Post a Comment